Citizens Step Up In The Wake Of ‘Snowmageddon’

Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

Citizens Step Up In The Wake Of ‘Snowmageddon’

Posted in:
In-page image(s)
Callaway citizens jumped in to help neighbors and the village crew in cleaning up after a massive snowstorm hit the area on Wednesday, Jan. 18. (Photo courtesy Janel Brestel)
Some of the equipment owned by the Village of Callaway is pretty old, but it still gets the job done when needed.
Even though moving the feet of heavy snow was a lot of work, some still found fun in the activity.
Callaway residents came to the aid of the Village street crew to help clear the nearly 2-feet of snow that fell on Wednesday, Jan. 18. The storm canceled school for two days, as well as several school-related and community activities. (Photo courtesy Janel Brestel)
Body

Custer County, and Callaway in particular, made the news last week; however, it wasn’t in a way many would have wanted to see. As a huge winter storm - affectionately referred to as Snowmageddon - made its way through Nebraska, it dumped snow on this region by the buckets full.

The National Weather Service had done a good job of predicting the path and intensity of the storm, allowing area residents to be prepared. That was evident by the stocking up of grocery items such as milk and bread.

The NWS official storm reports list Callaway with a storm total of 17.5 inches of snow by 10 a.m. Thursday. However, many local residents reported measuring between 20-24 inches.

That is a lot of snow to have to move to make streets passable and keep life moving. And in a small village like Callaway, with a small street crew and limited equipment, that becomes an issue.

However, in true Callaway fashion, good Samaritans showed up. Duane Kimball, Tim Hickenbottom, TR Anderson, Keith Hild, Jeff and Garrett Hrupek, and Gary Eastwood all stepped in with tractors, loaders, trailers and any other necessary equipment and manpower to help the Village get the snow cleared. “Ya can’t beat Callaway kindness,” said Janel Brestel, as she thanked all of those who contributed to the effort.

Custer County was the hardest hit with snowfall in the state this time around, with many locations including Merna and Anselmo reporting two feet or more. The storm prompted the closure of virtually all roads in Custer County. Custer County Emergency Management issued a statement shortly after 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 18, that all roads in the county were “considered impassable”, and the majority of those roads remained closed until Friday.

As one would expect, the deep snow and closed roads also forced the cancellation of several events. Callaway was to be the host site for a wrestling invitational on Friday, and the Callaway Booster Club was using the event for their annual Burger Bash fundraiser. Due to the wrestling meet being canceled, the Boosters had to come up with a Plan B.

Club President Rhonda Pandorf said the Community Center has been rented for Sunday, Feb. 12, for the rescheduled fundraiser. Pandorf said the event has been held every year in conjunction with a high school athletic event, but this year that will not be the case.

“We aren’t excited about spending the extra money to rent the center, but the only home basketball game left is boys only against SEM and that won’t bring in enough people; this is our biggest fundraiser of the year,” said Pandorf. “Mr. Hanson said it is too hard to find a reschedule date for the wrestling meet as teams are already booked.”

While the school was still offered as a site for the Burger Bash, Pandorf said the Booster Club board felt it might serve them better to utilize the Community Center for parking and grilling the burgers. The meal will be served beginning at 11 a.m. and will run until 5:30 pr 6 p.m., unless they run out before that. Burgers, chips and drinks will be free will offering with all proceeds going to the Booster Club.

School was closed in Callaway both Wednesday and Thursday due to the snow, and Friday was already a scheduled closure for the wrestling tournament. Also canceled were the boys and girls varsity and JV basketball games with Ansley-Litchfield, which were to be played Thursday evening. There has been no word yet on when, or if, those games will be rescheduled.